Like other animals, you will need to provide your guinea pigs with a constant supply of fresh and clean water to keep them healthy. One of the best ways that you can provide water for your guinea pig is by using a water bottle that you can hang around their cage.
However, the height you place the water bottle on is very important to help ensure that your guinea pig is using it. The ideal height for a guinea pig water bottle is just above their head height.
In this article, we will highlight everything you need to know about guinea pig water bottle height, from the ideal height to what can happen if you place the water bottle at the wrong height.
- Guinea Pig Water Bottle Height Guide
- How Many Water Bottles Should Be In A Guinea Pig Cage?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Last Sentences
Guinea Pig Water Bottle Height Guide
The height that you place your guinea pig water bottle is quite important. The water bottle should be placed just above the head height of your guinea pigs, and this means your guinea pig will just need to look up to see the spout of the water bottle and to drink from it at a comfortable height.
Some guinea pigs love their water bottle fairly high where they only lick the ball bearing for water. At the same time, some love their water bottle high as they put the whole spout in their mouth like using a straw.
Risks When Water Bottle Is Too High?
If you place your guinea pig water bottle too high, it will be hard for your cavy to reach it. Furthermore, your guinea pigs may hurt themselves while stretching to get it. Another thing is that your guinea pig can become dehydrated if they don’t access the water bottle.
What Happens If a Water Bottle Is Too Low?
Placing a water bottle too low means that your guinea pig will need to crouch before they can have a drink. Another thing is that placing a water bottle too low can allow your guinea pig to attack and chew at it.
Your guinea pig can also mush food in their mouths into the water bottle’s spout, which can make the bottle leak.
Where Should You Place The Water Bottle?
The water bottle needs to be placed in the right place to help ensure your guinea pig has access to water and keeps its enclosure neat.
You should place the water bottle far away from your guinea pig’s sleeping place. This is because a blockage in their spout or any problem with the water bottle can cause water leakage, which can seep into your guinea pig bedding.
It is recommended to place the water bottle close to your guinea pig’s food. However, it should not be very close to the food as any leakage can make the food become soggy, and your guinea pig will not eat it.
The water bottle should also not be under direct sunlight. This is because sunlight can cause algae growth in the water bottle. You will also need to keep the water bottle far from cold and drafts if you stay in a cold environment.
For instance, you should avoid keeping the water bottle close to a window because the water in the bottle can freeze, and your cavy will not be able to drink it.
How Many Water Bottles Should Be In A Guinea Pig Cage?
A guinea pig usually requires about 100 milliliters of water for their daily activity. This is meant to guide new guinea pig owners because some guinea pigs can drink more while others can drink less.
You can place one water bottle for one guinea pig cage as long as it can hold more than 100 milliliters of water. Furthermore, you can also use a larger water bottle for two guinea pigs if it can hold at least 200 milliliters of water.
However, many owners recommend that you provide a separate water bottle for each guinea pig. This will help to prevent your guinea pigs from fighting over a bottle. Another thing is that once they both finish drinking a water bottle, they can then switch to the other one.
It is recommended that you change your guinea pig’s water a few times a day, especially during a hot day or at least once a day for busy owners. You will also need to check if the water is clean and the water level several times per day and then refill when dirty or empty.
It is best to refill your guinea pig’s water bottle several times per day during the summer period because the water usually gets warm quickly. When refilling the water bottle, rinse it very well before adding fresh water.
When adding water, ensure that you give your guinea pigs water that you can also drink. Avoid adding salt or sugar into water, and do not fill the bottle with alcohol or distilled water. You can add supplements into their water, but you don’t have to if you are providing your guinea pig with the right diet.
No Drip Guinea Pigs Water Bottle
- 🐾 Why Choco Nose Water Bottle? Are You Tired of Changing the Wet Bedding for Your Pet Cage? This Is The Best Small Pet Water Bottle For Your Beloved Pets. Providing A Wet-Free and Mess-Free Living Area For Your Furry Kids Is Very Essential. Choco Nose U.S. Patented Leak Proof Nozzle Can Prevent Water Leakage Effectively. Our Innovative Design Allows Your Pets to Enjoy Clean and Fresh Water While Keeping Your Home Clean and Dry.
- 🐾 Mini-Sized Nozzle (10mm) is recommended for Guinea Pig, Ferret, Hamster, Bunny. / Made of BPA Free Material/ 11.2 oz Capacity.
- 🐾 User-friendly Screw-on Bracket: Simple and Easy Installation. You Can Easily Snap the Water Bottle On or Off for Cleaning and Refilling Water.
- 🐾 Nail-on Bracket: It May Also Be Nailed To The Wall or Wooden Furniture with Screws (Not Included). Eco-idea: Pet Parent Can Switch Our Bottle to Most Regular Sized PET Bottles (Soda Bottle, Smart Water)
- 🐾 Very Important Instruction: Please Check the Water Bottle Daily and After Every Refill by Tapping the Metal Ball at the Nozzle Tip to Ensure Water Comes Out Properly. The Water Bottle is Ready to Use when Air Bubbles occur when you Tap the Metal Ball.
Last update on 2022-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How Do You Know If Guinea Pigs Use A Water Bottle?
Generally, most guinea pigs prefer to wait until the house is quiet before drinking their water. They may also wait until at night or when you are not watching before they drink their water. Some guinea pigs (back-washer) also prefer to drink while they are eating.
It is quite easy to determine when your guinea pigs use a water bottle if it is a back-washer. This is because you will find food sediments settling at the water bottle bottom by the nozzle cap. You can also determine that your cavy has used a water bottle if the water level has reduced.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why does my guinea pig’s water bottle leak?
Your guinea pig’s water bottle may leak if your guinea pig spits food in the tube while drinking. This usually displaces the ball and can lead to bottle leakage.
How much water should my guinea pig drink?
Generally, guinea pigs require at least 80-100 milliliter of water per day to keep themselves healthy and happy. However, lactating and pregnant sows can drink more than 80-100 milliliter of water per day.
How long can a guinea pig go without water?
Guinea pigs cannot survive for a long time without taking water as they can die of thirst. This means your guinea pig can die of thirst if you don’t have access to water within 12-24 hours.
Why Isn’t My Guinea Pig Drinking Water?
There are several reasons why a guinea pig may not be drinking water; some of them are stated below:
It is stressed, anxious, or afraid.
It is not feeling well.
Your guinea pig is getting hydrated from their vegetables
Your guinea pig cannot use the water source you provide for them.
Is tap water safe for guinea pigs?
Yes, guinea pigs can drink tap water as long as an appropriate pipe water supply is appropriate. Furthermore, if the tap water is safe for a human to drink, then your guinea pigs can also drink from it.
Lixit Wide Mouth BPA-Free Cage Water Bottles
- PREMIUM QUALITY: The wide mouth series is the top-of-the-line Lixit water bottle. It’s designed from the ground up to be the best quality and longest last bottle in our lineup. It features a thick high quality water bottle that is BPA free and weather resistant.
- THE PERFECT SIZE: The 16oz bottle is designed for Dwarf Rabbits, Ferrets, Guinea Pigs and other small animals. The bottle is weather resistant and can be used in outdoor environments. Not all small animals need the same amount of water. For the 16oz we use a 3/8 inch tube that is large enough to accommodate the water needs of the pets noted above.
- VACUUM SEAL: Lixit bottles work by forming a vacuum to hold the water inside. It is important to fill the bottle all the way to the top and ensure the cap is on tight to prevent leaking. Some dripping when the bottle is first turned over is normal.
- EASY TO CLEAN: The Lixit wide mouth bottles are designed with a large opening to allow easy access inside for cleaning. The opening is large enough to accommodate a bottle brush and is easy to refill with water.
- QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: Our tubes are made of the same 304 grade stainless steel in food preparation. We polish our tubes until they have the same satin finish that is found in quality silverware. Each tube is hand coned on the end to ensure that it has a smooth tip that will not harm your pet.
Last update on 2022-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Guinea pigs require a constant supply of fresh and clean water to stay healthy, whether using a water bottle or bowl. When using a water bottle, the ideal height to place it is just above your guinea pig’s head height to help ensure it gets enough water.