When it comes to petting, petters fail to deliver the care pet needs. One of the popular animals that make good pets is leopard geckos.
Just like dogs or cats, leopard geckos are small size and require little care. Leopard geckos are nocturnal animals and most popular lizard pets. When petting leopard geckos, provide it with an efficient lighting system.
A good lighting system keeps leopard geckos healthy and happy. Here is a list of best lights you can buy for your leopard gecko:
Buyer’s Guide: Things you need to look for when purchasing a bulb for leopard gecko
Leopard gecko petters should be careful while setting up the lights in the leopard’s terrarium.
You need to identify which is the best light for leopard gecko. For this, you have to understand your leopard geckos habitat.
Leopard geckos live better in middle eastern day-night lighting patterns. The lighting pattern of the geckos differs from the season.
To ease the adjustment of light petters can use an automatic timer. The automatic timer will facilitate the better and automatic adjustment of terrarium lights.
Factors to be considered before purchasing the best leopard gecko light:
Type of Lighting
There are different lights available in the market. Petters should know what kind of lighting they need to adjust in the terrarium. You may opt from moonlight, daylight, nightlight, UVA UVB light, infrared light, etc.
Petters can choose UVB light to maximize Vitamin D3 absorption in the geckos. Ceramic bulbs work best for leopard geckos to optimize temperature effects.
Lights are used inside Leopard geckos terrarium to keep geckos warm. Heat improves digestion and facilitates calcium absorption in the geckos.
Usually, a leopard gecko requires 90-degree F heat to digest food. If the temperature goes beyond this it can cause heatstroke. Make sure the light you install is lower than 70-degrees.
Durability is the first thing to look for when purchasing a leopard gecko’s bulb. Buy bulbs from reputable brands only.
Exo Terra, Zoo Med, and Evergreen are the best brands for leopard geckos lights.
Lights of these brands are safe for your geckos too. Buy lights that provide a good warranty period.
Sometimes a light gets damaged if the sockets fail to meet the requirements. Before purchasing a light ensure enough power supply is there to meet the requirements.
Sometimes the wrong assembly is the reason for damage in the light.
The bulb’s temperature is very high while working. Switch off the bulb and let it cool down for an hour before touching.
There should be at least 6’’ of the distance between the leopard and the bulb.
Lights For Crested Geckos Reviews
Exo-Terra Night Glo Moonlight
Editors Rating: 4 Star
Geckos indeed require a warm, moist, and perfectly ventilated terrarium. Exo-terra is the best light for leopard gecko as it provides them enough warmth to improve digestion. The heat produced with the light maximizes D3 absorption.
Here are some reason to choose Exo-Terra Night Glo Moonlight for Your Leopard
- Simulates natural moonlight to enable leopard geckos to stay active even during the day
- Inhibits tropical-type night time temperature to your geckos
- Rightly stimulates environment required for breeding amphibians and reptiles
- Creates a perfect environment for nocturnal animals.
- Has an A19 bulb. For a 24-hours cycle combine it with repti-glo or sun-glo.
- Very easy to install
- Provides natural lighting inside the terrariums
- This one might not suit the small terrariums
Evergreen 100 Watt UV Light For Reptile
Editors Ratings: 4.5 stars
It is difficult to choose between the Exo-Terra Night Glo Moonlight and Evergreen 100 Watt UV Light.
Both these lights are perfect in different ways and well support leopard geckos.
Here is the reason that makes Evergreen 100 Watt UV Light stand out:
- A powerful source of heating with UVA and UVB self blasted. It does not contain harmful UVC.
- Mercury vapor bulbs provide enough warmth and vitamins suitable for leopard geckos’ health.
- Suitable for a variety of nocturnal amphibians and reptiles.
- It Can be used for other pets Lizards, turtles, snakes(Mostly Pythons), bearded dragons, tortoises, toads, chameleons, etc. Perfect Leopard Gecko bulb.
- The bulb emits an optimum amount of heat needed by the leopard geckos.
- Compatible with different enclosures including vivariums, vision cages, terrariums, tanks, etc. Perfect UVA UVB light to suit leopard geckos habitat.
Prepare a hiding place for geckos before placing UVA UVB lights inside the terrariums.
UVA and UVB lights heat the environment and facilitate calcium absorption.
Ensure to maintain the day temperature of 24c/75F. The basking spot temperature should be maintained at 31c/88f.
- The Company offers good after service/ customer service
- Emits the light as much as needed
- Suitable for basking
- Difficulties with the installation. Requires replacement of T8 bulbs in 6 months and T5 bulbs in 9 months.
OMAYKEY 100W Ceramic Heat Lamp
Editor’s Ratings: 4 star
So the third on the list is OMAYKEY 100W Ceramic Heat Lamp. This leopard geckos light is an infrared heat lamp.
It is made up of solid ceramic elements to ensure durability. It comes with a perfect heat radiation feature and prohibits light emittance.
- Perfect light for turtle, snake, chameleon, coop, pet, chicken, and reptiles.
- It comes with a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature inside the chamber.
- Quick and Easy installation. Standard porcelain E27 screw sockets are required to screw it.
- Lamp’s input voltage: AC 90-120V, Power: 100 Watts, Dimensions: 3.15inch X 4.13 inch.
- Leopard Geckos light bulb is highly durable. It provides an efficiency of 9,000-15,000 hours and sometimes even longer. The best light for reptiles and amphibians and is a 24 hours heat source.
- It provides only heat but not light. Use it with a wire clamp lamp to prevent overheating.
- Very economical and safe.
- The product may overheat, not suitable for small terrariums
Zoo Med Day Night Light
Editors Ratings: 4 Star
Leopard geckos do not use light but require heating lights to grow.
Zoo Med Day Night light is perfect for leopard geckos. This light provides geckos heat needed by them to stay healthy and happy.
- Perfect daylight spotlight provides infrared heat to the reptiles.
- Available with two sockets to provide light and heat.
- Suitable for basking reptiles to provide 24-hours concentrated heat.
- Perfect spot lamp for nocturnal animals.
Zoo Med Day Night Light is available with 2 bulbs for day and night heating.
Repti Basking Spot Lamp
Designed for daytime heating. The light is available with a patented system designed computer designed “double reflector”.
The basking spot lamp provides 35% more focused heat in the beam. It can last for 2000 hours.
Nocturnal Infrared Heat lamp
A 75-watt lamp for leopard gecko. This is a heating lamp and provides heat 24/7.
- Provides concentrated heat 24*7
- Not suitable for small terrariums
Exo-Terra Heat Glo Infrared Leopard Gecko Light.
Editors Ratings: 4 star
This is yet another very durable and quality light for leopard gecko. This light is an infrared spot lamp.
The light provides enough heat needed by geckos to stay healthy and happy.
- Infrared Spot Lamp is available with 75 watts lamps and 120 volume voltage.
- Provides Infrared Heat Emissions
- Increase the air temperature inside the leopard geckos terrarium.
- Ideal for nocturnal viewing
- You can use this lamp with Exo-Terra Sun Glo or Repti-Glo bulbs
Exo-Terra Heat Glo Infrared Leopard Gecko Light emits infrared light. The spot lamp is safe for leopard geckos. It is harmless and promotes digestion by increasing air temperature for leopard geckos.
- It is perfectly safe for your Leo
- Only lasts for weeks
Zoo-Med Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture.
Editors Ratings: 4 Star
This is again a 2in1 light for leopard gecko. This dual lamp fixture allows you to fix day and night light in the same dome. The aluminum polish of the dome increases light efficiency by 30%. The two 100watt bulbs can be fixed in the ceramic socket.
- The dual-socket lamp allows you to fix 2 bulbs at a time. You can either use a basking spot lamp or a power-sun UV lamp. Additionally, a light lamp can be fixed to facilitate digestion.
- Dual socket facilitates by providing light and heat both.
- The light comes with two 60watt daylight and nightlight bulbs respectively.
- The Daylight blue bulb heats the terrarium. The bulb is uncoated and provides a good heat transfer.
- The nightlight bulb is red. This light allows you to view the night behavior of your leopard geckos.
- Provides two sockets
- Unsure of the support from the customer service center
Zoo Med Moonlite Reptile Bulb
Editors Ratings: 5 Star
This is the perfect nightlight for your leopard gecko. The petters can use this Zoo Med light to view their geckos in the night light.
- The light provides enough heat to promote digestion
- Designed with perfection to prevent disturbance in the sleeping patterns of leopard gecko
- The bulb is made of blue glass. It is neither painted nor coated with the blue color to ensure safety.
- Provide heat 24×7 and is a highly durable life. Quality product designed with safety measure of reptiles in mind.
- High-quality product. The natural blue color glass used
- Can be a little expensive
Editors Ratings: 4 Star
Very compact and cute Fluorescent lamp for Leopard Geckos.
The lamp can be used for other reptiles and amphibians too. This light is mostly preferred for small terrariums.
- The light is supported by the UVB transmitting Quarts glass to maximize UVB penetration
- The lights can be fixed into standard sockets. It is up to you to place the fixtures horizontally or vertically.
- The lights increase the temperature to facilitate the feeding and mating process. The light is also ideal to prevent bone diseases.
- These leopard geckos light consume only 13 watts of power. The lamp can be placed both horizontally as well as vertically.
- The light is easy to assemble and comes in a budget.
- It can be easily assembled
- In the larger terrarium, this light may fail to perform
Arcadia Natural Sunlight 2% UVB lamp
Editors Ratings: 4 star
Arcadia Natural Sunlight 2% UVB lamp provides stimulation to the reptiles.
The light emits UVA UVB rays that are healthier for reptiles. The lamp creates a natural environment for the Leopard Geckos
- Provides the right amount of UV rays received from the sun to the Leopard geckos.
- The light enables leopard geckos to synthesize Vitamin D3. Synthesizing the right amount of Vitamin D3 leads to better absorption of calcium. Right calcium absorption improves the bone health of the reptiles.
- Produces Natural Colors perfect for your leopard gecko.
- Easy to assemble and cost-effective
- Not suitable for larger tanks or terrariums
Fluker’s 27002 Repta-Clamp Lamp
Editors Ratings: 4.5 Star
The Fluker’s 27002 is one the best lamp for Leopard Geckos. It is very simple to use and easy to install.
- The light is easier to attach with any terrarium rim along with the safety clamp. You can buy this lamp in different sizes and power capacity.
- Available in three different sizes and can be rated up to 75 to 250-watts.
- One of the most suitable lights for geckos. Emits both UVA and UVB light.
- It comes with a switch and is very affordable.
- The lamp has a polarised plug to prevent the risk of electric shocks.
- Compatible with ceramic sockets and works similar to that of incandescent bulbs.
- The bulb is available with a switch and the quality is very good.
- Does not includes a bulb
- It can be difficult to position the clamp on your own. You might need help from an expert.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, leopard geckos require special lights that generate heat. Heat is used to improve digestion and facilitate D3 absorption.
Always place the light at least 6’’ away from your geckos to prevent electric shock. Try checking the temperature every few minutes to prevent overheating.
UVA UVB lights are not usually recommended for leopard geckos. UVA UVB produces bright lights and gecko’s eyes are sensitive to it. The best replacement can be LED or incandescent lights.
No, not at all. Red and blue lights are more natural colors for leopard geckos. Instead, avoid using white light for your gecko.
No, stimulate a normal day inside the terrarium with the right adjustment of lights.
In summers expose geckos to 14 hours of light and 10 hours of darkness. Also, in winters adjust the terrarium with 12 hours of darkness and 12 hours of light.
There are many leopard geckos lights available in the market today. Opt for a light that suits your budget.
If you ask me my first preference would be Zoo Med Day Night Light. This light fulfills both day and night light requirements in one. Also, it is perfect for those who do not want to buy multiple lights.