Do you want to clean your guinea pig and wonder if mineral oil is safe for guinea pigs or not? The answer is a bold YES. Use mineral oil to effectively clean the guinea pig’s ears and bottom. It should never be used as food.
Maintain hygiene by regularly cleaning and grooming your guinea pigs. It keeps the pet happy and free from infections. Read on to find out how to use mineral oil to clean cavy’s ears and bottom.
- Is Mineral Oil Safe To Use for Guinea Pigs?
- What Are You Going To Do With The Mineral Oil?
- Where Can I Buy Mineral Oil For Guinea Pigs?
- Alternatives To Mineral Oil
Is Mineral Oil Safe To Use for Guinea Pigs?
Yes. Mineral oil is safe and effective for use in cleaning guinea pigs. In fact, it is the best cleaning agent you can get. It breaks down grease and makes it easy to clean without exerting pressure when wiping.
Fortunately, mineral oil is affordable and readily available. You can find it in the nearby store or just across the streets. You have no excuse why you should not keep your little, cute cavies clean. Get it today to clean your guinea pig ears and bottom.
What Are You Going To Do With The Mineral Oil?
Mineral oil is very effective as a cleaning agent. It can be used in many different ways. But for maintaining guinea pig hygiene, you can consider it for cleaning ears and bottom site. Any wax or stains can be removed by the mineral oil.
Clean Your Guinea Pig’s Ears
Guinea pigs often have dry ears that can scale and accumulate dead skin. The earwax cements these dead skin cells over time, causing itchiness, infection, and attracting mites. This problem is more common in some breeds than others.
You should regularly clean the guinea pig’s ears about 2-3 times a year. Cleaning helps to remove the earwax and dead skin that can attract mites and make your cavies uncomfortable.
Some guinea pig breeds are just not comfortable with ear cleaning. If that is the case, give it some time to rest. Give them their favorite snack and try cleaning once again.
Cleaning guinea pigs’ ears with mineral oil or any other appropriate cleaning liquid. In this case, we will highlight the steps to follow when using mineral oil. There should not be much difference using others.
- Step 1: Spread a fleece liner or towel on a flat surface and put your guinea pig on it. Ensure its comfort.
- Step 2: Draw about 5ml of mineral oil in a syringe or pipette.
- Step 3: Pull the guinea pig close to your body for a comfortable hold and apply a few oil drops on the ear fold. Do that carefully, and don’t let oil flow down through the canal.
- Step 4: Use your hands to gently massage the guinea pig, spreading the oil inside the ear folds in the process.
- Step 5: use a cotton pad to wipe the ear fold to remove oil, which should come with earwax and dead skin.
- Step 6: Rub the ear folds with a cotton bud dipped in the mineral oil to further clean them. Just wipe the parts of the year that you can see, never reaching the ear canal.
- Step 7: Once the first ear is clean, move to the other ear. Repeat the steps for this ear.
Clean Your Guinea Pig’s Bottom Side
Poor hygiene can risk the life of your guinea pigs. Regularly cleaning its bottom side is one of the ways of ensuring that your cavy is healthy and happy.
A poop attached to the skin or near the anal region can start to smell and attract disease-causing pathogens.
Boars or older males are likely to develop anal impaction. This is a condition where the guinea pig cannot pass out poop properly because of the weak anal muscles.
As a result, they accumulate in the perineal sac and cause discomfort. Females or young males rarely have this problem.
Male guinea pigs have a scent gland or grease gland above the tail. This gland helps them to secret scents for marking their territories. The area around this gland may become greasy, sticky, and smelly over time. If left uncleaned can cause infection and irritation.
Guinea pig’s bottom gets dirty when it is on a poor diet or unsuitable lifestyle. You may need to check these two to save the situation. Include a diet high in fiber and hay.
How often should you clean your guinea pig’s bottom? Well, that depends on the severity of anal impaction. You may need to do it daily, weekly, or monthly. To clean your guinea pigs’ bottom, proceed as follows:
- Step 1: Spread fleece liner or towel on a flat surface and lay the guinea pig upside down on it. Ensure comfort.
- Step 2: Smear a small amount of mineral oil around the anus and carefully push the bottom side near the anus to squeeze the impacted dropping out.
- Step 3: If step two did not remove all the impacted mass, use a cotton bud to clear the remainder. Do not probe the sack. Also, stop the procedure if your guinea pig is resistant. Give it a break and proceed later after giving a snack.
Where Can I Buy Mineral Oil For Guinea Pigs?
You can buy mineral oil for guinea pigs in nearby stores. You can also look for them online on Amazon or your preferred eCommerce store. Mineral oils are readily available. So, it will not take you long before you find the best seller.
Thirteen Chefs Food Grade Mineral Oil
- FOOD GRADE - This butcher block conditioner is lab tested to ensure that it meets food safety standards, and is also colorless, odorless, tasteless, and gluten free.
- PROTECTION - Use this mineral oil for cutting board restoration and protection to prevent cracking and drying. It also magically restores your knives, kitchen appliances, and more!
- EASY APPLICATION - This butcher block oil has a push-applicator cap and squeeze-bottle design that makes maintenance a breeze. Apply generously with a rag or by hand and let sit for 4 hours.
- TREATMENT - A single bottle of mineral oil for wood cutting boards can last for years! A Thirteen Chefs 1oz oil treatment every 3 months is all you need for a cutting board up to 18".
- MADE IN THE USA - Our 100% pure food grade mineral oil for cutting board cleaning undergoes regular safety testing and is bottled in FDA compliant facilities in the United States
Last update on 2022-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Alternatives To Mineral Oil
Mineral oil does not have many alternatives, but you can consider coconut oil or olive oil. These are equally soft, moisturizing, effective in cleaning guinea pigs, and are safe. They will not harm your little piggies.
Can you give a guinea pig mineral oil?
No. Mineral oil is not part of a guinea pig diet. It is only used for cleaning ears and removing the impacted mass of dropping from the cavy’s bottom. Never think of giving mineral oil to your guinea pig.
How do you treat impaction in guinea pigs?
Impaction in guinea pigs comes with age or poor diet. You may need to change the diet and include more hay and fiber in the diet. Impaction is common in older males. Regularly help remove the droppings from their anal sac.
Can I use coconut oil to clean my guinea pig’s ears?
Yes. You can use coconut oil as an alternative to mineral oil to remove earwax and dead skin from the ear fold. However, you should be careful not to allow the oil to flow down through the ear canal.
Can I put baby lotion on my guinea pig?
Yes. You can use baby lotion on a guinea pig, but that is often unnecessary. Guinea pigs produce enough oil to keep their skin moist if comfortable and get a good diet.
Fractionated Coconut Oil 4oz – 100% Pure Coconut Oil
- PURE FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL: 100% Pure & natural Fractionated coconut oil. MCT OIL. Packaged in the USA without any additives, toxins, or harmful chemicals. Undiluted, GMO Free, Cruelty Free, and never tested on animals.
- HAIR GROWTH OIL: A popular hair softener hair oil, coconut oil that is fractionated easily penetrates the hair follicles, nourishing them with deeply hydrating vitamins and nutrients. Using a bit in your hair care routine to greatly improve its health and shine!
- COCONUT MASSAGE OIL: Skin oil for skin therapy oil & body massage oil. Coconut oil for face & coconut body oil when fractionated is less likely to clog pores like virgin coconut oil and helps moisturize and alleviate skin sensitivity along with reducing appearance of aging and scarring.
- CARRIER OIL: A wonderful fractionated coconut oil for essential oils, liquid coconut oil fractionated is better to maintain a consistent liquid form, it mixes perfectly with the essential oil and settles into the skin more easily, allowing all the rich vitamins to be absorbed without clogging pores.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: We are confident that our oils are by far the highest quality, we offer a full 100% 365-day Money-Back Guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with UpNature Fractionated Coconut Oil, we will refund your entire purchase.
Last update on 2022-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Thank you for reading this article at Pestive. We are grateful and encourage you to explore the site for topics related to guinea pig keeping as a pet. Also, share this article with other pet lovers to pass the information.