Transporting guinea pigs across the country can be challenging, given that these pets are not resilient to environmental changes. You have a role to play in keeping it comfortable and happy when traveling. Look for any signs of stress and attend to them when necessary.
How do you ensure successful guinea pigs transportation? Whether you are relocating, going on a trip, or taking it to the vet, you need not cause distress. We will discuss steps and tips to safely travel with your guinea pigs. Read on for details!
- What Is The Best Way To Transport A Guinea Pig?
- 7 Steps To Transport Guinea Pig
- Transport Guinea Pigs in the Winter
- How Long Can A Guinea Pig Be In A Carrier?
- Tips To Safely Transport Guinea Pig
- Wrapping Up
What Is The Best Way To Transport A Guinea Pig?
Transporting guinea pigs from one place to place is not recommended as they can easily be stressed and adversely affected. However, if you must, ensure their comfort and safety. Minimize the causes of stress as possible.
We recommend using a pet carrier. It has to be spacious to allow guinea pigs to play and move around. If transporting two guinea pigs at once, the pet carrier should be at least 12x 19 x 12 inches in size. Overcrowding will cause discomfort.
If you have to put the guinea pigs in your car, ensure the temperature is conducive. And if you have to turn on your radio, keep the volume respectable. Guinea pigs need ventilation. Regardless of how you will transport them, there should be ventilation.
7 Steps To Transport Guinea Pig
How do you ensure your guinea pig is comfortable while transporting them? You need to prepare in advance for the big occasion. That involves looking for a pet carrier, preparing the guinea pigs for the day, and possibly carrying snacks to keep them busy.
To safely transport guinea pigs, consider the following steps and tips:
Use A Pet Carrier
You possibly need a pet carrier if you want the guinea pig to remain active and stress-free throughout the entire journey. A pet carrier can be a small portable box, crate, or cage used to transport pets, including guinea pigs.
Pet carriers have increased levels of comfort for guinea pigs. Moving these cute animals around without an appropriate pet carrier is a bit challenging. Whether you are transporting the pet to the vet or carrying it along on vacation, a comfortable pet carrier ensures they are stress-free.
Get Guinea Pigs Pets Used To Their Carriers Before It’s Actually Time To Transport
Pet carriers are new homes for guinea pigs that stay in cages. If you plan to transport them there, you should ensure they feel at home. So, what are the right conditions, or what should you do?
The pet carrier should be spacious enough to allow free movement of guinea pigs. Consider the height and floor area. Design-wise, the pet carrier should be well-ventilated, easy to clean, and escape-proof. Also, the temperature should just be right.
To make a pet carrier look and feel like home, but some guinea pig bedding materials in it. It will at least appear like a cage,
Bring Snacks Distracting These Pets
Your pet may need to eat while on transit. Hunger will make it uncomfortable and stressed. With appropriate guinea pig snacks, their attention will be diverted to eating, temporarily forgetting the situation.
Your guinea pig will be happy eating high-quality pellets and hay of fruits and vegetables. You can also try mixing rolled oats into the hay pellets to make. Consider the following list and vegetables for guinea pigs:
- Romaine lettuce
- Carrots and carrot tops
- Broccoli spears
- Green and red bell peppers
Atlas Two-Door Pet Carrier | Easy Assembly Pet Carrier
- Hard-Sided Pet Carrier for Any Occasion | Atlas two door top load carriers are made of durable plastic and are great for traveling with your pet dog or cat, convenient front & top doors provide easy access to your pets & the included handle makes carrying a breeze
- Easy to Assemble Dog Carrier | No tedious nut & bolt assembly like other plastic carriers, the Atlas pet carrier uses buckles for a quick & secure assembly
- Dog Carrier Ideal for "Toy" Dog Breeds | 19-inch dog carrier is ideal for "Toy" dog breeds & XS small cats. Pet carrier dimensions: Outer 18.75L x 13W x 11.75H, Front Entry 8.5W x 9.25H & Interior 15.325L x 9.25W x 10.75H inches
- Low Maintenance Pet Carrier | Hard plastic shell & powder coated front / top doors are easy to clean, the included carrying handle folds down when not in use
Last update on 2022-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Make Sure Your Car Is An Acceptable Temperature For Guinea Pigs
Guinea pigs are happy in the environment with a temperature between 65- and 75-degrees Fahrenheit. You should maintain the temperature inside your car within this range. Guinea pigs do not have ways of cooling themselves when hot because they don’t sweat.
Keeping the temperature inside your car within the recommended range is not a problem if your AC is still working. Just adjust the settings to create a conducive space. But what if you don’t have a functional AC and you must travel in hot weather?
To keep your guinea pig cool in the pet carrier, consider doing the following:
- Supply succulent foods such as water-rich vegetables.
- Don’t put the pet carrier in direct sunlight.
- Wrap a plastic with frozen water with socks or a towel and put it inside the pet carrier
- Carry enough water for you and your guinea pigs.
- Lastly, secure the carrier so that it will not slip or tip when you ride on speed bumps or let your guinea pigs roam freely in the car.
Drive Car responsibly
Cause as a minimum disturbance to the guinea pig as possible by driving your car responsibly. You can maintain low speed and be careful when approaching bumps or potholes. That will help to reduce vibration and noise in the cabin. Mind about the guest you have in the car.
Check On The Guinea Pig Regularly And Look For Signs Of Distress
Keep a close eye on them. If possible, you can have a partner to take care of it while you concentrate behind the wheels. Check for the following signs of distress in guinea pigs:
- Hiding most of the time
- Chewing cage bars
- Sitting hunched
- Reluctance to move
- Circling the pet carrier
Monitor the behavior of your guinea pigs for any changes and signs of distress. A reduction in activity may signalize a stressful condition. Stop the car to investigate further. Ensure the guinea pig is at ease again before proceeding with the journey.
Transport Guinea Pigs in the Winter
Winter is characterized by cold weather that makes transporting guinea pigs riskier. You may consider other times of the year when the environmental temperature is favorable. But if you have to do it? You should keep the pet warm by doing one or more of the following:
- Switch on a heater in your car.
- Cover the pet carrier with a blanket whenever you take it out.
- Carry a blanket enough for you and your pet just in case your vehicle has a breakdown.
YUEPET Guinea Pig Carrier Bag with Bed
- 👜【Product Size】: Guinea pig carrier size measured probably 13.7”* 8.6” * 8.6” with a matching soft bed ( random colors), suitable for rabbits, squirrels, hedgehogs, guinea pigs, and other similar sized small pets. Rabbit travel carrier suitable for pets under 3.2lbs, please measure the size of your pet before buying.
- 👜【Product Transparent Design】: The fully transparent design allows your pet's vision to be more open, enjoy the sun and scenery at any time, and it is also convenient for you to interact with your pet. The pet can see you at any time, so as to avoid staying in a dark place causing anxiety, Afraid. Openings are designed on the top and sides, and mesh panels are added on the side, so that the air can flow freely; Let the small animal happily enjoy the breeze with you.
- 👜【Light and Hard Material】: The small animal carrier use EVA material is lighter and will not be burdensome when you go out. The hard plastic shell will support well and won't squeeze your pet. An anti-skid pad is added at the bottom to prevent sliding. Bottom waterproof design can be placed on the ground or lawn, not easy to get dirty and easy to clean.
- 👜【Suitable for All Occasions】: The weight of the bunny travel carrier is only 1.2lbs. the guinea pig carrier is light and convenient. It is suitable for daily travel. It can take your small pets out for a drive, camping, or take him to the pet shop to bathe and beautify, or take him to the hospital when he is sick.
- 👜【Easy to Store & Carry】: Hand strap and adjustable cushion shoulder strap make travel easier，Portable design can be folded when you don't need it, saving space, and it can also be completely disassembled during cleaning. Take the mat out and place it in the washing machine for cleaning. The shell is directly rinse with water, convenient and quick.
Last update on 2022-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How Long Can A Guinea Pig Be In A Carrier?
This is a worthy question if you transport the guinea pigs many miles away. But do we have a definite answer? Logically, guinea pigs should never be left unattended for 24 hours. The time it stays in the carrier does not matter. Instead, focus on making it as comfortable as possible.
If going on a long trip with your guinea pig, consider the following:
- Bring along enough greens and snacks to keep guinea pigs fed and busy.
- Use an appropriate pet carrier size and design. If transporting two guinea pigs, the pet carrier should measure 12x19x12 inches.
- Consider a travel pen where guinea pigs can freely play. Just lay down some garbage bags and fleece on top for the perfect bedding.
- Always supervise or monitor your guinea pigs.
Tips To Safely Transport Guinea Pig
- Bring a friend (two maximum) to help you monitor guinea pigs
- Avoid transport near mealtimes because they may be distracted and feel uncomfortable feeding in the car.
- Keep your piggy away from the direct sunlight to avoid possible overheating.
- Do not leave your guinea pigs in the car for long.
- If you are leaving your piggies with a sitter, also leave emergency contacts so that you can be contacted easily.
Are guinea pigs easy to transport?
Yes. Guinea pigs can be easily transported in a car, provided you planned your trip well. These pets are susceptible to stress and environmental changes. Make their comfort your priority when moving around with them. Otherwise, they may never recover from the shock.
Is it okay for guinea pigs to travel?
Yes. Nothing bars you from taking your guinea pig to the market or any other trip if you want it to accompany you. They are excellent and cute companions and should be fine if you use the pet carrier where their comfort is a priority.
How do you move a guinea pig across the country?
Moving guinea pigs across the country is such a long and tiresome trip. It is different from going shopping with a pet. You need a comfortable pet carrier, which should be secured inside the car. Don’t think of placing it in the trunk! Also, carry along some veggies, fruits, and water. If traveling in cold weather, ensure you can keep it warm.
What do you do with guinea pigs when you go on vacation?
You can leave your guinea pigs behind or carry them with you. Just don’t leave it for more than 24 hours unattended. If your trip will take more than a day, find a sitter or board a guinea pig to provide for its needs. But if traveling with it, ensure it is comfortable all the way.
Guinea pigs are a great companion. You may want to travel with them around. But before doing so, prepare for that trip. Find a comfortable pet carrier, pack some good food and water, and ensure you maintain the temperature within the recommended range of 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit.
Thank you for reading this article at the Petsive. We appreciate your time and encourage you to explore this site for more guinea pig care tips.