Fahaka puffer fish (Tetraodon lineatus), also known as Nile and lineatus puffers, are large puffers that originate from the Nile River. They are freshwater fish and are popularly kept as pets due to their intelligent and interactive nature. You may be wondering how much this cute pet costs.
In most local fish stores, a baby fahaka puffer fish usually costs about $20. However, an adult fahaka puffer fish usually costs between $50-$100, but it is quite rare to get them in the market.
In this article, we will break down everything you need to know about fahaka puffer fish price, from things that can affect their price to the helpful tips to buy them.
How Much Does a Fahaka Puffer Cost?
Fahaka puffer fish price usually varies from one size to another. A juvenile fahaka puffer about 1 inch in size can cost about $20-$30 in the US. However, a pufferfish about 6 inches can cost around $50, while adult fahaka puffers can cost between $50-$100 in the US.
On the other hand, a 1-inch fahaka puffer can cost between £15 to £20 in the UK. A 6 inches fahaka puffer will cost around £90, while an adult fahaka puffer (about 12 inches) can cost around £150.
Factors That Affect Fahaka Puffer Fish Price
The price of a fahaka puffer usually differs from one retailer to another. However, you don’t need to focus on just the cost alone. For instance, the cheapest puffer may not be the best puffer.
You should try to speak to the store owner about their puffer before committing to buying it. You are likely to pay more if the puffer is already quarantined and dewormed, but it is worth the cost.
This is because the owner has already spent time quarantining and deworming them for you to ensure the fish is healthy.
The cost of a fahaka puffer fish usually varies due to several reasons. Some of them are:
- Size: For instance, an adult fahaka puffer fish costs more than a juvenile fahaka puffer fish.
- Source and quality of the fish: A fahaka puffer fish can cost more when buying from a breeder than when buying from a local pet store. Another thing is that a healthy fahaka puffer will cost more than an unhealthy one.
- Quarantining and deworming cost: A fahaka puffer that has already been quarantined and dewormed will cost more than those that is not quarantined or dewormed.
- Supply and demand of the fish: A fahaka puffer fish can cost more if the demand for the fish is more than the supply. This is because it will be rare to get and will cost more.
Where To Buy Fahaka Puffers
There are several places where you can buy Fahaka puffer fish. Some of the places that you can buy a pufferfish are:
- Local fish store
- Online retailer
- eBay or Craigslist
A suitable place to buy a pufferfish from the list above is from a local quality breeder or local fish store. This is because you will get enough time to talk with the owner and observe the fish before choosing one.
A quality breeder or specialist online retailer is the best option if you need a wider selection. However, you will not be able to walk around the facility of an online retailer.
You will also find a wide range of puffers available when buying from eBay or craigslist. However, it is hard to determine the conditions they are kept in or where they are coming from. Furthermore, eBays sellers usually don’t have a return policy for situations where you are not satisfied with your new puffer.
Tips To Buy Fahaka Puffer
Here are some tips that you can follow when buying a fahaka puffer fish
- Always speak with the seller before you decide to buy.
- Check for extra costs like shipping, quarantine, and warranty.
- Ensure you know a bit about the individual puffer you want before choosing it.
- Ensure you check for a live arrival guarantee when buying online.
- When buying, inspect the pufferfish to determine if it is healthy when buying from a local store.
You can buy a fahaka puffer fish for between $20-$100 based on their size, quality, and source. However, you should try to communicate with the seller to learn more about a pufferfish before buying them.