How can my pet bearded dragon feed when I’m away? No one wishes to have their pet suffer. When you are not around, here is what to do to feed your beardie automatically.
Bearded Dragon Automatic feeders are well featured to ensure maximum care of your pet is achieved.
It is the right option to give food to your pet at any time when you are gone. It is capable of monitoring the level of food and water needed by the bearded dragon.
Next time, when going for a vacation, you don’t have to bother your neighbors or friends to feed your pet.
A bearded dragon automatic feeder can handle that.
Let’s continue reading
- Why Do You Need An Automatic Feeder for Bearded Dragon?
- TOP 3 Best Bearded Dragon Automatic Feeders – Plus Automatic Water Drinker
- How Long Can A Bearded Dragon Go Without Food?
- What do You need To Know Before Getting A Bearded Dragon Automatic Feeder?
- When Should You Leave Your Bearded Dragon Home Through Vacation?
Why Do You Need An Automatic Feeder for Bearded Dragon?
Important note: you MUST train your bearded dragons to eat dried food before thinking about these automatic feeders for your beardies. Only dried worms/insects can be used for this type of product.
When you are away during weekends or holidays, you need your pet to remain happy, right?
You can choose to leave the dragons under your family members or friend’s care. But sometimes you may find it difficult to trust or bother them.
In case you are not confident with other people to look after your dragon pet, you need something else to rely on. I will recommend you to look for an automatic feeder.
It just works perfectly in feeding your pet.
It is okay to leave your beardie alone, but don’t take a long holiday just because you have something to feed your beardie.
More importantly, consider the age and the health status of your beardie. The two parameters matter and can significantly determine how long you can go.
Even when you are far from home, ensure that they are under proper care and can easily access what they need.
An automatic feeder is easy to use, convenient and works well in feeding.
The automatic feeder is a safe and reliable specification for reptiles. It will not expose your beardie to risks.
It has been effective in feeding various reptiles, and many pet owners have approved it.
You just load the feeder with your dragon’s meal and set a timer to display the food at the required time.
TOP 3 Best Bearded Dragon Automatic Feeders – Plus Automatic Water Drinker
Now that you know why automatic feeders are essential, I want to introduce to you a few of the best-bearded dragon automatic feeders.
Automatic Roffie Food Dispenser for Small Pets
Roffie pet feeder is a perfect product to choose from when you have a busy schedule or spend a lot of time on your vacation. It can hold up to 29 cups of dry food, enough to feed your beardie for several days.
It comes with a programmable timer that allows you to program the feeder to dispense the meals up to 4 times a day. It also contains a voice recorder that will enable you to record a customized message to remind your pet of its mealtime.
Roffie pet feeder is reliable and can dispense the necessary amount of food, and will not allow your pet to starve. This feeder enables you to regulate your pet’s food. It will enable you to control the amount of food your pet eats.
Its top lid acts as a perfect seal and prevents the food from going stale and remaining fresh. View the product on Amazon.
What I Like
- The unit comes in different sizes, there are large and small feeders, and you can easily choose the one that suits your pet.
- The lid covers the buttons completely. If you want to press the buttons, you have to open the top first. It makes it safe even when there are children around; they can’t access the buttons.
- It holds a decent amount of food, which can sustain your pet for several days.
- The top lid is transparent, and you can easily see the remaining food.
- Both the feeding tray and the food storage can easily be removed from the device when you want to clean it. It is effortless to clean this feeder.
- Small pets cannot move the feeder; it has rubber feet and is well-balanced.
- It works consistently, with no interference, even when the power goes off.
What I Don’t Like
- You can feel the smell of the pet’s food; it might not be comfortable for people that are sensitive to smells.
Keep in Mind
- Roffie pet feeder is only suitable for dried foods, and the size of the pellet food should range from 0.2-0.6 inches in diameter.
- The batteries and power adapter should run at the same time to avoid resetting issues when the power goes off.
- Roffie pet feeder is only suitable for pets less than 40 cm in height.
Zoo Med Hanging Mealworm Feeder
- Hanging feeder
- Easy to install, easy to use
- Encourages natural hunting behavior
Last update on 2022-12-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A hanging mealworm feeder from the Zoo Med brand is a beautiful little product that motivates bearded dragons to access live mealworms. Its cup has holes at the bottom to allow the worms to fall slowly.
It has two cups; a suction cup and the other one for holding the worms. Buy one and enjoy watching your beardie having fun while eating.
I love mealworm feeders; they are not just ideal for feeding, but they add excitement to feeding time. The beardies are very excited to see moving worms falling from the cup. Who would not wish to see their beardie happy as they eat?
A hanging mealworm feeder is indeed the right product and can be useful in feeding other animals apart from reptiles. Buy the product from Amazon, and you will like it.
What I Like
- It is a high-quality product and is easy to use.
- Low price.
- The product encourages natural hunting.
- It is easy to install; you just hang it.
- It maintains clean food at all times compared to dish food put on the ground.
- It makes the beardie much more interested when feeding.
New to a bearded dragon? Check out the bearded dragon care sheet! We have listed out all the things you need to know about bearded dragons as pets.
What I Don’t Like
- The mealworms can fall and hide in the enclosure.
- Other works like a super worm and wax worm cannot fit through the holes.
- A suction cup tends to lose its suction and fall.
Keep in Mind
- Zoo Med hanging worm feeder is excellent for a variety of reptiles.
- The feeder is designed with worms.
Ninuo Reptile Water Dispenser
- 🦎 PROVIDE YOUR REPTILES WITH FRESH, CLEAN WATER continuously flowing from this water dripper dispenser that simulates a waterfall, to make your snake, turtle, lizard or amphibian feel in their natural habitat.
- 🦎 GET OUT OF THE FUSS OF ADDING WATER: This automatic drinking water dispenser will supply your reptile with 1,000 milliliters of running water - enough for one week without you having to change the water!
- 🦎 EASILY INSTALL IT ON YOUR PET’S TANK: Featuring strong suction cups on the bottom, our water bowl will safely stick on the glass surface of your reptile box, without risking to be tipped over by big reptiles.
- 🦎 LET YOUR CHAMELEON SAFELY DRINK: We make our water bowls of food-grade resin, non-porous, hygienic, tested and approved safe for your reptiles. The carbon pad included will help you purify your pet's water.
- 🦎 USE IT FOR YEARS TO COME: Durable and long-lasting, this low wattage water dispenser features a 2.5W/110V DC pump, to save you electricity costs. And it is also easy-to-clean, for your convenience.
Last update on 2022-12-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here is a superb option product to provide your bearded dragon with fresh water to drink as she needs and help it stay hydrated always. The product comes with a suction cup that allows you to attach it to the terrarium and does not shake.
Using Ninuo water dispensers helps to reduce your expenses since you don’t have to pay for the high electricity bill. It has a low-wattage pump to adjust the flow of the water.
There are so many reasons to love the Ninuo water dispenser. It helps to supply plenty of hygienic water to your bearded dragons. It dechlorinates water and plays a functional role in protecting the health of your pet.
It is a very convenient product and drips water automatically, with no leaking issues. Buy the product from Amazon.
What I Like
- You don’t have to change the water every day. The carbon pads in this water dispenser are excellent filters and can improve the taste of the water. It dispenses hygienic water for your beardie. It holds enough water to last for a week.
- It helps to maintain the right humidity level in the enclosure.
- The flowing water gives your beardie a desire to drink it.
- You can adjust the flow rate of the pump just the way you want.
- It is easy to clean and can remain active for many years.
What I Don’t Like
- Sometimes the pump will not function when you buy the product.
Keep in Mind
- The reptile water dispenser is tested and approved to be safe for reptiles.
- The product comes with a 2.5W/110V DC pump and a carbon pump for purifying water.
- It is ideal for reptiles and amphibious pets.
How Long Can A Bearded Dragon Go Without Food?
Bearded dragons can stop eating their food for different reasons. How long they can go without food depends on age and other factors. To maintain good health and the wellness of your pet, ensure you feed them the right way.
Bearded dragons can indeed go without food for a while, but it is not a good idea to stop feeding them for an extended time.
Just as we need to eat every day to grow and maintain a healthy body function, the same applies to bearded dragons.
Follow the right feeding guideline for the beardies every single day.
Why Bearded Dragons Stop Eating?
If your bearded dragon doesn’t eat, it can be due to brumation, changes in enclosure or diet. Decreasing in temperature also causes loss of appetite in bearded dragons.
Mostly, reptiles respond differently to different climatic conditions. When it is cold, they tend to sleep to escape cold weather. Bearded dragons react the same; it is an innate behavior.
Bearded dragons normally hibernate when the temperatures in the enclosure get too cold. During this period, they can even go up to 2 months without food.
- Changes in Enclosure
Any slight change in the pet’s enclosure, e.g., the introduction of new materials, is enough to make your beardie ignore food. It is possible because bearded dragons are territorial animals.
The new materials coming in, or by just moving the beardie to new cages, makes them uncomfortable because the space will be unfamiliar. When this happens, they can go without food, even for a couple of weeks.
- Change of Diet.
Bearded dragons are very fussy about what they eat. They will not easily accept new food and can remain like that for a week. Just continue giving them the food, and then they will adapt.
- Decrease in Temperature.
Bearded dragons originate from the Australian desert, and that’s the reason why they prefer to live under warm temperatures. The basking lamp in the enclosure produces heat that is high enough to make the bearded dragon digest its food and support other body functions.
Bearded dragons will not digest its food in the absence of high temperatures, and remain inactive or unwell. If they don’t digest, they won’t eat. The beardie can remain like that for several weeks.
If you correct the temperatures, they will start to eat again in a matter of a few days. Bearded dragons require temperatures of about 41℃ in their basking area.
The first sign that is noticeable when the beardie is sick is a sudden loss of appetite. Other symptoms are discoloration, no movement, and glassy eyes, among others. If this is the case, contact your reptile veterinarian immediately.
A bearded dragon can also ignore food due to stress, which may occur due to several different reasons. Now you can see why it is crucial to know how long your beardie can go without food and, more importantly, to identify the root cause.
How Long Can A Baby Bearded Dragon Go Without Food?
Baby dragons need to eat several meals in a day, about 3-5 times. At this stage, the growth rate is very high, and your beautiful pet needs special care. The babies need well-balanced food with around 60-80% insects and 20-40% plant matter.
A high level of live insects is needed to provide the proteins and fats for fast growth. They need water and healthy food frequently for proper growth. Baby bearded dragons have huge requirements that are a must during this stage. They cannot go every day without food.
The bearded baby dragon will often refuse to eat vegetables, but when they go for even two consecutive days without live insects, it is not good. Never allow that to happen at any stage. Babies need to take essential proteins and fats every single day.
They can go for a week without food, but it’s too long for a pet under someone’s care. In case the pet refuses food, and it is now the third day, you need to take it to a vet right away. Follow what the vet recommends.
How Long Can A Juvenile Bearded Dragon Go Without Food?
Juveniles are still growing, but the growth rate slightly declines as they get older. In this stage, the beardie requires 50% live food and 50% plant matter. They need two meals per day.
Just like babies, juveniles can go for a week without food. If they go beyond seven days without eating, you need to take them to a veterinarian.
Though, it is not recommendable to leave your juvenile beardie for three days without food. In case you are going somewhere, be sure to leave some food and water that they can access.
How Long Can An Adult Bearded Dragon Go Without Food?
Adult bearded dragons are not growing, but they need food to stay healthy and look good. The most significant part of their diet consists of vegetables and greens to supply vital minerals and vitamins. Live food makes up only 30% of the diet.
Adults will break down the fat in the body and convert them to energy to help them to survive. With this ability, adult bearded dragons can go up to a month without food and about four months when hibernating.
Ideally, provide adult beardies with food once a day. They need your maximum care, just like the young ones. All beardies require food and water, regardless of age.
Try to take note of how long your beardie pet can go without food. It will help you to estimate how long you can leave the beardie alone when on vacation. But ensure you load the automatic feeder with dried food before going, it will help.
Whether it is a baby or an adult bearded dragon, they must have access to water even if they are not eating.
What do You need To Know Before Getting A Bearded Dragon Automatic Feeder?
Before buying the automatic feeder, you need to train your bearded dragon to eat dried foods.
The majority of automatic feeders use dried foods. If your pet is not familiar with them, even if you buy an automatic one, it will not be helpful.
Training involves several trials, especially when your beardie will not readily accept the new food.
During the training, you can start by mixing dried foods with your pet’s favorite diet. Continue with the process until your pet can consume solely dried foods.
Another method that you can choose involves training your beardie with only dried foods. Use any means that can make the dried food such as freeze-dried crickets, move a little. This will trick the pet into thinking it is alive, and they will be enticed to eat. When the beardie eats the dried food without hesitation, it’s time to buy an automatic feeder.
Also, consider a feeder that can hold a sizable amount of food depending on how long you will be going for your vacation. It will prevent your beardie from starving. Ensure you know the amount of food your beardie can consume per day. It will help you estimate the capacity of the feeder to buy.
Before you even buy an automatic feeder, know what will be best for your beardie. There are many feeders available in the market. Make sure to buy a product that can cater to all your pet’s issues.
When Should You Leave Your Bearded Dragon Home Through Vacation?
Sometimes choosing to leave your bearded dragon stay home will be the best option. You only need to ensure that the enclosure is conducive and provides enough food and water.
In case you don’t have someone to care for your beardie when you are away, it is okay to leave the beardie alone. But this should only be done when you don’t go for shorter vacations. If it is only 1-3 days, then you can leave them.
Since the beardies defecate infrequently, you don’t need someone to come and clean the enclosure if the trip is short.
If you can provide a lamp for light with a timed on and off switch, it will help to maintain the natural day and night cycles of the beardies.
I hope you have found this article helpful and you now understand the need for bearded dragon automatic feeders.
The primary food source for these automatic feeders should be dried worms for reptiles.
The primary task is to ensure that your bearded dragon can eat dried foods.
The rest of the work becomes easy.
You can fix all other factors making your beardie ignore food, except brumation. This is the only reasonable time to go without food. Always feed your pet regularly so that it stays healthy.
2 thoughts on “TOP 3 Best Bearded Dragon Automatic Feeder (Use For Dried Worm)”
How are you today!
I ‘ve noticed that your some articles. those are amazing! I know you are a pet lover, I am wondering if there is a chance we can work together, we would love to send an air purifier to you in exchange for your article review, please trust me, it will give you a big surprise. Please feel free to reply to me. Thanks for your time.
Hi Cara, can I have some extra information about your products to see my pets need it or not?