As an axolotl owner you might be wondering if it is safe to put danios in the same tank as axolotl.
Well, you are not the only one as many people search for the same answer as axolotls are not community creatures and they usually do good on their own.
Today we will discuss can axolotls eat danios or if axolotls and danios can be put together.Also, what other fish can make a great tank mate for your axolotl.
Can Axolotls Eat Danios?
Yes, axolotls can eat danios. It’s small enough and has no hard exoskeleton, so it does not hurt or cause impact on your axolotl.
Danios is a peaceful cool-water fish and it is safe to keep them as a tank mate. They usually keep to their shoals and mostly maintain distance with axolotl which helps them stay secure in an axolotl aquarium.
Being an agile fish makes them escape axolotls but once they catch off-guard then they will surely become axies snack.
Also read: What Can Axolotl Eat?
Pros and Cons of Danios
Everything has some advantages as well as disadvantages and the same is the case with danios.
First we will discuss pros of keeping danios and axolotls together in the same tank.
Danios can make a great tank mate for axolotls as they are small and peaceful fish.
They can live in the same water temperature as axolotls and they can not be a threat to your axolotl.
Danios are good feeder fish for axolotls and they allow the latter to use their instincts to hunt.
They are great at cleaning up debris and uneaten food and they will not be a threat to axolotls as they are the most peaceful fish that do well with most tankmates.
The cons of having danios is they might carry parasites which can be passed to your axolotl once eaten.
You need to take the help of a veterinarian or danios need to be quarantined at least 2 weeks before you feed them to your axolotl.
What Other Fish Can I Put With My Axolotl?
There are some fish too you can keep with your axolotl and they can make a great tank mate.
However, not all fish can be a good tank mate for axolotls and you just need to avoid keeping large fish or being aggressive with axolotls.
Because they can be a choking hazard and can also lead to impaction.
Now let’s discuss about the fish that can be a great tank mates for them:
Adult axolotls can make a great mate but you need to make sure they are the same size. Otherwise, the smaller axolotl might become the snack of an adult one.
Also read: Can Axolotls Live Together?
White Cloud Mountain Minnows
White Cloud Mountain Minnows are the cool water fish and their lack of spines and shells are safe for axolotls to eat. These fish are quite fast so they escape from the axolotls unless caught off guard.
Guppies can also be a good option to keep as tank mates for your axolotl.
They sometimes carry diseases but baby guppies are usually utilized as feeder fishes as they do not have a health risk when eaten by juvenile axolotls.
Adult Apple Snails
You can keep adult apple snails with young axolotls as they are not small enough to eat. But you need to avoid keeping mini snails with axolotls as they can easily be eaten.
Also read: Can Axolotl and Snails Live Together?
Ghost Shrimp is a great option to keep with axolotls as they clean up any uneaten food that helps to keep the parameters of the aquarium stable.
They can be a great snack for axolotls as the latter has a great sense of smell and these shrimps can become their snacks very easily.
Also read: Can Axolotl and Ghost Shrimp Live Together?
Aqueon 10 Gal Black Aquarium
- High quality glass construction with clean silicone sealed edges
- For freshwater and marine applications as well as desert or tropical terrarium applications
- Tank measures 20.25" long x 10.5" wide x 12.625" high
- Always include a drip loop when plugging aquarium appliances into the electrical outlet
- Place aquarium on a stand that is able to safely bear the weight of a filled aquarium
Last update on 2022-12-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
In short, Axolotl can eat danios and you can put them together as they both require the same water temperature.
But you need to keep danios in quarantine for at least 2 weeks before you introduce them to your axolotl as they might carry a disease which can be spread once your axolotl eats them.
Also read: 6 Best Axolotl Tank Mates
FanKooVia Aquarium Chillers 2/3/4 Heads Fish Tank Cooling Fan System
- 【Cooling Fan】FanKooVia cooling fan provides strong wind to your aquarium, Two-speed wind control for your to choose and depending on the weather and indoor temperature, the temperature can be reduced by 2-4℃
- 【Suitable for】Fit for the aquarium with the thickness＜15mm. Adjustable jaws can clamp the cylinder wall through turning the screw
- 【Angle Adjustment】There are 4 angles for you adjusting the proper angle, adjustable maximum 45°, easy to operate and meet your different daily requirements
- 【Easy to Use】You just adjust the jaws, the angle and wind speed that you want, plug in at last. A easy installation and do not need to assemable item for you.(AC adapter included)
- 【Safety Guarantee】The cooling fan adopts DC12V direct current, which has high safety standard and ensures the safety of the fan
Last update on 2022-12-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API